Alternative fuels are the need of the current situation as conventional fuels are depleting very quickly and causing increase in amounts of pollution. Hydrogen as a clean fuel with Higher Calorific Value plays important role in increasing combustion characteristics. When compared with the performance of ethanol as a fuel, ethanolhydrogen blends have demonstrated a 5% increase in power production, 15% reduction in hydrocarbon emissions, and 12% reduction in carbon dioxide emissions. All tests are conducted at speed of 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, and 4500 rpm with the Wide-Open-Throttle (WOT) condition. CO & HC emissions are reduced using ethanol, whereas hydrogen addition enhanced the decreased power output, higher brake-specific fuel consumption and in cylinder pressure.
Keywords: Emission, combustion, ethanol, hydrogen, SI engine, alternate fuels, conventional fuels, renewable energy sources, MBT spark timing, NOx emissions, nitrogen, Maximum Brake Torque
- S. Yousufuddin, "Effect Of Combustion Duration on The Operating and Performance Characteristics of a Hydrogen-Ethanol Dual Fueled Engine: An Experimental Analysis," International Journal of Advances on Automotive and Technology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 36-45, January 2017.
- H. Koten, Y. Karagoz and O. Balcı, "Effect of different levels of ethanol addition on performance, emission, and combustion characteristics of a gasoline engine," Advances in Mechanical Engineering, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1-13, 2020.
- C. Yu., Y. Z. Y. and W. K. Cheng., "Effects of Ethanol Evaporative Cooling on Particulate Number Emissions in GDI Engines," SAE Technical Paper, no. 2018-01-0360, p. 9, 2018.
- M. Al-Baghdadi, "Hydrogen–ethanol blending as an alternative fuel of spark ignition engines," Renewable Energy, vol. 28, no. 2003/07/01, p. 1471–1478, 2003.
- Y. Abdulfatah Abdu and I. Freddie L., "Effect of low bioethanol fraction on emissions, performance, and combustion behavior in a modernized electronic fuel injection engine," Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, vol. 11, no. 2021/06/01, pp. 885-893, 2019.
- F. T. Ansari and A. P. Verma, "Experimental determination of suitable ethanol–gasoline blend for Spark ignition engine," International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 1-10, July - 2012.
- J. A. Yamin, E. A. E. Sheet and K. S. Rida, "Relative Change in SI Engine Performance Using Hydrogen and Alcohol as Fuel Supplements to Gasoline," Advances in Science and Technology Research Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 144-155, 2021.
- M. B. Celik, "Experimental determination of suitable ethanol–gasoline blend rate at high compression ratio for gasoline engine," Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 28, pp. 396 - 404, 2008.
- F. Catapano, S. Di Iorio, A. Magno, P. Sementa and B. Vaglieco, "A comprehensive analysis of the effect of ethanol, methane and methane-hydrogen blend on the combustion process in a PFI (port fuel injection) engine," Energy, pp. 1-10, 2015.
- X. Zhen, X. Li, Y. Wang, D. Liu and Z. Tian, "Comparative study on combustion and emission characteristics of methanol/ hydrogen, ethanol/hydrogen and methane/hydrogen blends in high compression ratio SI engine," Fuel, no. 267 (2020) 117193, p. 9, 2020.
- S. O. Akansu, S. Tangoz, N. Kahraman, M. I. Ilhak and S. Acıkgoz, "Experimental study of gasoline-ethanol-hydrogen blends combustion in an SI engine," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, no. 42 (2017) 25781-25790, pp. 1-10, 2017.
- S. Yousufuddin and M. Masood, "Effect of ignition timing and compression ratio on the performance of a hydrogen–ethanol fuelled engine," International Journal of hydrogen energy, vol. 34, pp. 6945-6950, 2009.
- M. Mortadha K., B. Hyder H., A.-D. Zaid Maan H., K. Zaid S. and A.-Z. Mudhaffar S., "Effect of ethanol-gasoline blends on SI engine performance and emissions," Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, no. 25 (2021) 100891, p. 9, 2021.
- P. Iodice, G. Langella and A. Amoresano, "Ethanol in Gasoline Fuel Blends: Effect on Fuel Consumption and Engine Out Emissions of SI Engines in Cold Operating Conditions," Applied Thermal Engineering, 2017.
- T. M. C. Jegan, R. Chitra and G. Glivin, "Testing of Ethanol as an Alternative Fuel for IC Engine," Energy Research Journal, vol. 12, pp. 13 - 21, 2021.
- D. Dhande, N. Sinaga and K. B. Dahe, "Study on combustion, performance and exhaust emissions of bioethanol-gasoline blended spark ignition engine," Heliyon, no. 7 (2021) e06380, p. 11, 2021.
- C. P. García, "Analysis of performance, emissions, and lubrication in a spark-ignition engine fueled with hydrogen gas mixtures," Heliyon, no. 8 (2022) e11353, p. 13, 2022.
- K. A. Mithaiwal, A. J. Modi and D. C. Gosai, "Energy and Exergy Analysis on Si Engine by Blend of Ethanol with Petrol," International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Science (IJAERS), vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 49 - 61, 2017.