A simulation-based study of three different types of front wing designs used in the modern Formula 1 cars was done. The study mainly focuses on the aerodynamic forces that a Formula One car generates mainly the Downforce, the Drag force, & the Lateral force. These forces were studied in detail & taken a closer look at how do they migrate during the dynamic conditions the car is thrown into namely at various Ride Height changes, at various Side Slip (Yaw) Angles. A further elaborative study of the force builds up across the span of the wing was studied giving us a better picture of the concentration of the Downforce, drag force, & Lateral force being generated which will help us to correlate the pressure distribution data across the wingspan to the actual downforce concentration figures. A brief study of the flow field & flow lines was conducted along with the vortex generation for all three wings. A short comparison was made between the modern wing & a wing Ferrari used in the 1998 season, which will help us to understand the inherent problems that those designs had & how modern wings get around those.
- Katz, J. Aerodynamics of race cars, Annu Rev Fluid Mech, 2006, 38, pp 27-63.
- Katz, J. Aerodynamic Effects of Indy Car Components, 2002, SAE 2002-01-3311.
- Zhang, X., Toet, W. &Zerihan, J. Ground effect aerodynamics of racing cars, Applied Mechanics Review, 2006, 59, (1), 33-49.
- Kellar, W.P., Targett, G.J., Savill, A.M. &Dawes, W.N. An Investigation of Flowfield Influences Around the Front Wheel of a Formula 1 Car. Proc. 3rd Int Conf on the Engineering of Sport, 2000, pp353-360, June, Sheffield, UK.
- Zhang, X. &Zerihan, J. Edge vortices of a double element wing in ground effect, J Aircr, 2004, 41, (5), pp 1127-1137.
- Zhang, X. &Zerihan, J. Aerodynamics of a doubleelement wing in ground effect, AIAA J, 2003,41, (6), pp 1007-1016.
- Zerihan, J. &Zhang, X. Aerodynamics of Gurney flaps on a wing in ground effect, AIAA J, 2001, 39, (5), pp 772-780.
- Zerihan, J. &Zhang, X. Aerodynamics of a single element wing in ground effect, J Aircr, 2000, 37, (6), pp 1058-1064.
- Patil, Aniruddha, Siddharth Kshirsagar, &Tejas Parge. "Study of Front Wing of Formula One Car Using Computational Fluid Dynamics." International Journal of Mechanical Engineering &Robotics Research 3, no. 4 (2014): 282.
- William J Jasinski &Michael S Selig (1998), “Experimental Study of OpenWheel Race-Car Front Wings”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Doig, G., Barber, T. &Neely, A. The influence of compressibility on the aerodynamics of an inverted wing in ground effect, ASME J Fluids Eng, 2011, 133, (6), pp 1-12
- Doig, G., Barber, T.J., Leonardi, E. &Neely, A.J. The onset of compressibility effects for an inverted aerofoil in ground effect, Aeronaut J, 2011, 111, (1126), pp 797-806.
- Keogh, J., Doig, G. &Diasinos, S. The Influence of Compressibility Effects in Correlation Issues for Aerodynamic Development of Racing Cars, 2012. Proc. 18th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC), Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society (AFMS), Lauceston, Australia.
- STRATEGY GUIDE: What are the possible race strategies for the Russian GrandPrix? | Formula 1® https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.strategyguide-what-are-the-possible-race-strategies-for-therussian-grand.292fIM7raBljiTrw2XRscl.html
- STRATEGY GUIDE: What are the possible race strategies for the Dutch GrandPrix? | Formula 1® https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.strategyguide-what-are-the-possible-race-strategies-for-thedutch-grand.26oBdXYQp5OWhmG1cAlxN0.html
- Tyre dynamics - Racecar Engineering (racecarengineering.com) https://www.racecar-engineering.com/tech-explained/tyre-dynamics/
- F1 Legal Notices | Official Formula 1 Website https://www.formula1.com/en/toolbar/legalnotices.html
- 2019_technical_regulations_-_2019-03-12.pdf(fia.com) https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2019_technical_regulations_-_2019-03-12.pdf
- The GG Diagram (temporal.com.au) http://www.temporal.com.au/ggdiag.htm
- Legal Notice (michelin.io) https://blogit.michelin.io/legal-notice/