A simulation-based study of three different types of front wing designs used in modern Formula 1 cars was done. The study mainly focuses on the aerodynamic forces that a Formula One car generates mainly the Downforce, the Drag force, & the Lateral force at high cornering speeds. These forces were studied in detail & taking a closer look at how they migrate during the dynamic conditions the car is thrown at various Side Slip (Yaw) Angles, these results were compared with the wing Scuderia Ferrari used in the 1998 Formula 1 championship to better understand the inherent problems faced in those previous designs. A brief study of the flow field & flow lines was conducted along with the vortex generation for all three wings. Vortex formation and management is a prominent part of research being carried out for a Formula 1 car, so a brief study on the phenomenon of vortex generation & Y250 vortex formation was also carried out. The studies were carried out over typical high-speed corners where the speed ranges between 220-300 KM/Hr. A study on the effect of the flow field of the top element on the lower element was carried out where the 5th element was removed from each of the three wings & the effect on the downforce & drag value was analysed along with the pressure field.
Keywords: Modern formula 1, Front wing designs, Cornering speeds, aerodynamic forces, Side Slip (Yaw) Angles, Centre of pressure (CoP), Lateral force, CFD, Downforce
- Katz, J. Aerodynamics of race cars, Annu Rev Fluid Mech, 2006, 38, pp 27-63.
- Katz, J. Aerodynamic Effects of Indy Car Components, 2002, SAE 2002-01-3311.
- Zhang, X., Toet, W. &Zerihan, J. Ground effect aerodynamics of racing cars, Applied Mechanics Review, 2006, 59, (1), 33-49.
- Kellar, W.P., Targett, G.J., Savill, A.M. &Dawes, W.N. An Investigation of Flow field Influences Around the Front Wheel of a Formula 1 Car. Proc. 3rd Int Conf on the Engineering of Sport, 2000, pp 353-360, June, Sheffield, UK.
- Zhang, X. &Zerihan, J. Edge vortices of a double element wing in ground effect, J Aircr, 2004, 41, (5), pp 1127-1137.
- Zhang, X. &Zerihan, J. Aerodynamics of a double-element wing in ground effect, AIAA J, 2003,41, (6), pp 1007-1016.
- Zerihan, J. &Zhang, X. Aerodynamics of Gurney flaps on a wing in ground effect, AIAA J, 2001, 39, (5), pp 772-780.
- Zerihan, J. &Zhang, X. Aerodynamics of a single element wing in ground effect, J Aircr, 2000, 37, (6), pp 1058-1064.
- Patil, Aniruddha, Siddharth Kshirsagar, &Tejas Parge. "Study of Front Wing of Formula One Car Using Computational Fluid Dynamics." International Journal of Mechanical Engineering &Robotics Research 3, no. 4 (2014): 282.
- William J Jasinski &Michael S Selig (1998), “Experimental Study of OpenWheel Race-Car Front Wings”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Doig, G., Barber, T. &Neely, A. The influence of compressibility on the aerodynamics of an inverted wing in ground effect, ASME J Fluids Eng, 2011, 133, (6), pp 1-12
- Doig, G., Barber, T.J., Leonardi, E. &Neely, A.J. The onset of compressibility effects for an inverted aerofoil in ground effect, Aeronaut J, 2011, 111, (1126), pp 797-806.
- Keogh, J., Doig, G. &Diasinos, S. The Influence of Compressibility Effects in Correlation Issues for Aerodynamic Development of Racing Cars, 2012. Proc. 18th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC), Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society (AFMS), Lauceston, Australia.
- STRATEGY GUIDE: What are the possible race strategies for the Russian GrandPrix? | Formula 1® https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.strategy-guide-what-are-the-possible-race-strategies-for-the-russian-grand.292fIM7raBljiTrw2XRscl.html
- STRATEGY GUIDE: What are the possible race strategies for the Dutch GrandPrix? | Formula 1® https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.strategy-guide-what-are-the-possible-race-strategies-for-the-dutch-grand.26oBdXYQp5OWhmG1cAlxN0.html
- Tyre dynamics - Racecar Engineering (racecar-engineering.com) https://www.racecar-engineering.com/tech-explained/tyre-dynamics/
- F1 Legal Notices | Official Formula 1 Website https://www.formula1.com/en/toolbar/legal-notices.html
- 2019_technical_regulations_-_2019-03-12.pdf (fia.com) https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2019_technical_regulations_-_2019-03-12.pdf
- The GG Diagram (temporal.com.au) http://www.temporal.com.au/ggdiag.htm
- Legal Notice (michelin.io) https://blogit.michelin.io/legal-notice/