Building high-performance motor drives is vital for industrial uses. A high-performance motor drive system must be quick in terms of dynamic speed order monitoring and load regulation. The motor controllers can provide system protection by regulating or limiting torque, protecting against overloads, and safeguarding against mistakes. Many motor controllers include logic for managing applications as well as additional features like data recording and data collecting. The purpose is to study various tuning techniques for motor speed controllers using Artificial intelligence. The controllers such as proportional-integral (PI) controller and proportional integral derivative (PID) controller have been considered here. Most frequently used Artificial intelligence (AI) methods such as Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), Fuzzy logic controller (FLC), Genetic Algorithm (GA), Bat Algorithm, Adaptive Tabu Search (ATS), Ant Colony Optimization (ACO), Ziegler and Nichols (ZN) Algorithm are considered by their decision-making capability. In the proposed work a rigorous literature review is done for analyzing the performance of AI-based controllers. This will help other researchers to understand various aspects of the said controllers, particularly the technology involved. In-depth review and application of AI controllers are highlighted using various charts and graphs for easy understanding.
Keywords: AI motor controllers, Fuzzy Logic, PID controller, PI controller, Genetic algorithm, PSO algorithm, Ziegler and Nichols algorithm, Bat algorithm, Adaptive Tabu search algorithm
- K. Ang, G. Chong, Y. Li, “PID control system analysis, design and technology”, IEEE Trans.Control System Technology, vol. 13, pp. 559- 576, July 2005.
- Atef Saleh Othman Al-Mashakbeh, “Proportional Integral and Derivative Control of Brushless DC Motor”, European Journal of Scientific Research 26-28 July 2009, vol. 35, pp. 198-203.
- E. Daryabeigi, H. Sadeghi, G. R. A. Markadeh and C. Lucas, "Speed control of brushless DC motors using emotional intelligent controller", IECON 2010 - 36th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Glendale, AZ, 2010, pp. 2920-2925.
- J. L. F. Daya and V. Subbiah, “Robust control of sensorless permanent magnet synchronous motor drive using fuzzy logic”, in Proc. 2nd IEEE International conference on Advanced computer control, Shenyang, 2010.
- Abasin Ulasyar, Haris Sheh Zad, Adil Zohaib, “Intelligent Speed Controller Design for Brushless DC Motor”,2018 International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT). 644 ARAI Journal of Mobility Technology Vol 3; Issue 3, July-September, 2023
- H. Aloui, A. Ben Jridi, N. Chaker and R. Neji, “Fuzzy Control for Speed Tracking of an Electrical Vehicle enclosing an Axial- Flux Synchronous Motor”, IEEE 14th International Conference on Sciences and Techniques of Automatic Control & Computer Engineering, 2013, pp. 36-42.
- Tan Chee Siong, Baharuddin Ismail, Mohd Fayzul Mohammed, Mohd Faridun Naim Tajuddin, Siti Rafidah Abd. Rahim, Zainuddin Mat Isa, “Study Of Fuzzy And PI Controller For Permanent-Magnet Brushless Dc Motor Drive”, The 4th International Power Engineering and Optimization Conf. (PEOCO2010), Shah Alam, Selangor, MALAYSIA: 23-24 June 2010.
- Pranoti K. Khanke, Sangeeta D. Jain, “Comparative Analysis of Speed Control of BLDC Motor Using PI, Simple FLC and Fuzzy – PI Controller”, International Conference on Energy Systems and Applications (ICESA 2015).
- Sushma J Patil, M S Aspalli, “Study of AI and PI Controller using SVPWM Technique for Induction Motor Speed Control”, International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Communication, Computer and Optimization Techniques (ICEECCOT), 2017.
- Sajid Ali Bhatti, Amil Daraz, Dr. Engr Suheel Abdullah Malik, “Comparison of PI and I-P Controller by Using Ziegler- Nichols Tuning Method for Speed Control of DC Motor”, International Conference on Intelligent Systems Engineering (ICISE), 2016.
- Rohit G. Kanojiya, P. M. Meshram, “Optimal Tuning of PI Controller for Speed Control of DC motor drive using Particle Swarm Optimization”, International Conference on Advances in Power Conversion and Energy Technologies (APCET), 2012.
- S. Balamurugan, A. Umarani,“Study of Discrete PID Controller for DC Motor Speed Control Using MATLAB”, International Conference on Computing and Information Technology, University of Tabuk, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Volume: 01, Issue: ICCIT- 1441, Page No.: 358 - 363, 9th & 10th Sep. 2020.
- Archana Mamadapur, G Unde Mahadev, “Speed Control of BLDC Motor Using Neural Network Controller and PID Controller”, 2nd International Conference on Power and Embedded Drive Control (ICPEDC), 2019.
- Adel A. A. El-Gammal, A. El-Samahy, “A Modified Design of PID Controller For DC Motor Drives Using Particle Swarm Optimization PSO”, International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives, 2009.
- Olivier Munyaneza, Bernard B. Munyazikwiye, Hamid Reza Karimi, “Speed control design for a vehicle system using fuzzy logic and PID controller”, International Conference on Fuzzy Theory and Its Applications (iFUZZY), 2015.
- Kiran Gadekar, Shilpa Joshi, Hrishikesh Mehta, "Performance Improvement in BLDC Motor Drive Using Self-Tuning PID Controller", Second International Conference on Inventive Research in Computing Applications (ICIRCA), 2020.
- Vishal Verma, Sunita Chauhan. "Adaptive PID-Fuzzy Logic Controller for Brushless DC Motor", 2019 3rd International conference on Electronics, Communication and Aerospace Technology (ICECA), 2019
- S.Sakunthala, R.Kiranmayi, P.Nagaraju Mandadi, “A Review on Speed Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drive using Different Control Techniques”, International Conference on Power, Energy, Control and Transmission Systems (ICPECTS), 2018.
- Dr. T. Govinaraj, Dhivya.N.M, “Simulation Modelling on Artificial Neural Network Based Voltage Source Inverter Fed PMSM”, Inter. Journal of Innovative Research In Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering Vol. 2, Issue 1, Jan 2014. Ketan Kalke and Bhumeshwar Patle: Study on Application of AI Controllers for Speed Control of Motors 645
- S. Mishra, A. S. Tomer, “Speed Control of PMSM Drives by Using Neural Network Controller”, Advancein Electronic and Electric Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp.353- 360, 2014.
- Yang. Yi, D. Mahindra, and M. A. Rahman, “Implementation of an ANN based real time adaptive controller for an Interior PMSM” IEEE. On Industry Application, vol. 30, no.1, Jan/Feb 2003,pp.96-103.
- Didi Susilo Budi Utomo, Ansar Rizal, Achmad Fanany Onnilita Gaffar, “Model Reference Neural Adaptive Control Based BLDC Motor Speed Control”, 5th International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Information Engineering (ICEEIE), 2017.
- Amir Ahmed, Suraj Sharma Subedi, “Stability Analysis and Control of DC Motor using Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithm”, IEEE Students’ Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Science, 2014.
- Walaa M. Elsrogy, M. A. Fkirin, M. A. Moustafa Hassan, “Speed Control of DC Motor Using PID Controller Based on Artificial Intelligence Techniques”, International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies (CoDIT), 2013.
- Meena D. K., Chahar S., ”Speed control of DC servo motor using genetic algorithm”, International Conference on Information, Communication, Instrumentation and Control (ICICIC), 2017.
- Era Purwanto, Endra Wahjono, Indra Ferdiansyah, Diah Septi Yanaratri, Lucky Pradigta Setiya Raharja, Rachma Prilian Eviningsih, “Implementation of Genetic Algorithm for Induction Motor Speed Control Based on Vector Control Method”, International Seminar on Research of Information Technology and Intelligent Systems (ISRITI), 2019.
- Gamze Demir, Revna A. Vural, “Speed Control Method Using Genetic Algorithm for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors”, 6th International Conference on Control Engineering & Information Technology (CEIT), 25-27 October 2018.
- Yasser Ali Almatheel, Ahmed Abdelrahman, “Speed control of DC motor using Fuzzy Logic Controller”, International Conference on Communication, Control, Computing and Electronics Engineering (ICCCCEE), 2017.
- Hassan. M. Kamel, Hany. M. Hasanien, “Speed Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Using Fuzzy Logic Controller”, IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, 2009.
- Mohanasundaram K., Rajasekar N., Edward J. B., & Saravanailango G., “A Fuzzy Logic Approach for Speed Controller Design of A.C. Voltage Controller Fed Induction Motor Drive”, Fifth International Conference on MEMS NANO, and Smart Systems, 2009.
- Aziz Ahmed, Yogesh Mohan, Aasha Chauhan, Pradeep Sharma, “Comparative Study of Speed Control of D.C.Motor Using PI, IP, and Fuzzy Controller”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering Vol. 2, Issue 7, July.
- P. Suganthi, S. Nagapavithra, S. Umamaheswari, “Modeling and simulation of closed loop speed control for BLDC motor”, Conference on Emerging Devices and Smart Systems (ICEDSS), 2017.
- Sandeep Yadav, Sunil Kumar, Manoj Goyal, "PID Tuning and Stability Analysis of Hybrid Controller for Robotic Arm Using ZN, PSO, ACO, and GA", International Review of Mechanical Engineering (IREME), 2022.
- Ch. Bhanu Prakash , R. Srinu Naik, “Tuning of PID Controller by Ziegler-Nichols Algorithm for Position Control of DC Motor”, IJISET - International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 1 Issue 3, May 2014.
- Amer Mohammad Jarjees, Omar Turath Tawfeeq, Ali Abbawi Mohammed, 646 ARAI Journal of Mobility Technology Vol 3; Issue 3, July-September, 2023 “Adaptive Tabu Search Optimization Applied on Fuzzy Logic DC Motor Speed Control”, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 182 – No. 45, March 2019.
- Manoon Boonpramuk1, Satean Tunyasirut, Deacha Puangdownreong, “Artificial Intelligence-Based Optimal PID Controller Design for BLDC Motor with Phase Advance”, Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Informatics (IJEEI) Vol. 7, No. 4, Dec 2019.
- Thanet Ketthong and Satean Tunyasirut, “Design and Implementation of I-PD Controller for DC Motor Speed Control System by Adaptive Tabu Search”, I.J. Intelligent Systems and Applications,9, 69- 78, 2017.
- K. Premkumar, B.V. Manikandan, “Speed control of Brushless DC motor using bat algorithm optimized Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System”, Applied Soft Computing 32 (2015) 403–419, 2015.
- Paliwal D., Sambariya, D. K., “A Novel Control Approach for buck converter based PMBLDC motor using BAT algorithm”, 4th International Conference on Electronics, Communication and Aerospace Technology (ICECA), 2020.
- Changliang Xia, Hongwei Fang, Wei Chen, Jie Xiu, Tingna Shi, “Ant Colony Algorithm Based Fuzzy Control for a Brushless DC Motor”, Proceedings of the 6th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, June 21 - 23, 2006.
- Essamudin A. Ebrahim, “Ant-Colony Optimization Control of Brushless-DC Motor Driving a Hybrid Electric-Bike and Fed from Photovoltaic Generator”, IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), 2016.