Self-piercing riveting (SPR) is a mechanical joining process that has the potential to replace resistance spot welding (RSW) and is being adopted in the automotive industry.In this study, a dissimilar stack configuration widely used in the automotive industry was used. Joining was performed using self-piercing riveting and resistance spot welding processes. Welding parameters in spot welding were optimized to produce anugget with a diameter similar to the rivet shank. Tensile and fatigue attributes of these joints were assessed to evaluate the joint performance. Additionally, microstructure-property correlation was performed to evaluate the failuremode and susceptible region in the joint that can lead to crack initiation and failure.
- H. K. Banga, “Optimization of the cycle time of robotics resistance spot welding for automotive applications,” no. March, pp. 1–11, 2021.
- D. H. P. Menachem Kimchi, Resistance Spot Welding Fundamentals and Applications for the Automotive Industry. Morgan & Claypool, 2017.
- L. Kolaˇ, M. Sahul, M. Turˇ, and M. Felix, “Resistance Spot Welding of dissimilar Steels,” Acta polytechnica, 52(3): 43–47, 2012.
- S. kumar Hemanth, “A study on the microstructures of resistance spot welded Al 6063 T6 and A study on the microstructures of resistance spot welded Al 6063 T6 and SS 304,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2021.
- S. T. Wei et al., “Similar and dissimilar resistance spot welding of advanced high strength steels : welding and heat treatment procedures , structure and mechanical properties,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 19(5): 427–435, 2014.
- L. Ghalib, A. K. Muhammad, and S. M. Mahdi, “Study the Effect of Adding Titanium Powder on the Corrosion Behavior for Spot Welded Low Carbon Steel Sheets,” Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials, 31(6): 2665–2671, 2021.
- J. Kim et al., “Liquid metal embrittlement during the resistance spot welding of galvannealed steels : synergy of liquid Zn , α -Fe (Zn) and tensile stress Liquid metal embrittlement during the resistance spot welding of galvannealed steels : synergy of liquid Zn , α -,” Science and Technology of Welding & Joining, no. January, 2021.
- R. K. Hayriye Ertek Emre, “Resistance Spot Weldability of Galvanize Coated and Uncoated TRIP Steels,” Metals, MDPI, 2016.
- K. Kumamoto, I. Shohji, T. Kobayashi, and M. Iyota, “Effect of Microstructure on Joint Strength of Fe/Al Resistance Spot Welding for Multi-Material Components,” in THERMEC 2021, 2021, 1016: 774–779.
- D. Li, L. Han, M. Thornton, M. Shergold, and G. Williams, “The influence of fatigue on the stiffness and remaining static strength of self-piercing riveted aluminium joints,” Materials and Design, 54: 301–314, 2014.
- A. Kumar Deepati, W. Alhazmi, and I. Benjeer, “Mechanical characterization of AA5083 aluminum alloy welded using resistance spot welding for the lightweight automobile body fabrication,” Materials Today: Proceedings, 45: 5139–5148, 2021.
- D. Li, L. Han, M. Shergold, M. Thornton, and G. Williams, “Influence of Rivet Tip Geometry on the Joint Quality and Mechanical Strengths of Self-piercing Riveted Aluminium Joints,” 765: 746–750, 2013.
- A. Luo, T. Lee, and J. Carter, “Self-Pierce Riveting of Magnesium to Aluminum Alloys,” SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, 4: 158–165, Jun. 2011.
- Y. Abe, T. Kato, and K. Mori, “Joinability of aluminium alloy and mild steel sheets by self piercing rivet,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 177: 417–421, 2006.
- Y. Liu, H. Li, H. Zhao, and X. Liu, “Effects of the die parameters on the self-piercing riveting process,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2019.
- J. Zhong, Y. Zhang, and B. Shi, “Performance and Parameter Optimization of Self-piercing Riveted Joint for Aluminum Alloy Plate,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2020.
- X. Sun, E. V. Stephens, and M. A. Khaleel, “Fatigue behaviors of self-piercing rivets joining similar and dissimilar sheet metals,” International Journal of Fatigue, 29(2): 370–386, 2007.
- X. Zhang, X. He, B. Xing, W. Wei, and J. Lu, “Quasi-static and fatigue characteristics of self-piercing riveted joints in dissimilar aluminium-lithium alloy and titanium sheets,” Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9(3): 5699–5711.
- G. S. Booth, C. A. Olivier, and S. A. Westgate, “Self-Piercing Riveted Joints and Resistance Spot Welded Joints in Steel and Aluminium,” SAE Technical, no. 724, 2000.
- Y. Abe, T. Kato, and K. Mori, “Self-piercing riveting of high tensile strength steel and aluminium alloy sheets using conventional rivet and die,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 9: 3914–3922, 2008.
- Y. Ma, H. Shan, S. Niu, Y. Li, Z. Lin, and N. Ma, “Performance Manufacturing — Article A Comparative Study of Friction Self-Piercing Riveting and Self-Piercing Riveting of Aluminum Alloy AA5182-O,” Engineering, no. xxxx, pp. 0–9, 2020.
- R. Haque, Y. C. Wong, A. Paradowska, S. Blacket, and Y. Durandet, “SPR characteristics curve and distribution of residual stress in self-piercing riveted joints of steel sheets,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2017, 2017.
- P. Banerjee, R. Sarkar, T. K. Pal, and M. Shome, “Effect of nugget size and notch geometry on the high cycle fatigue performance of resistance spot welded DP590 steel sheets Journal of Materials Processing Technology Effect of nugget size and notch geometry on the high cycle fatigue performance of resistance spot welded DP590 steel sheets,” Journal of Materials Processing Tech., 238: July, 226–243, 2016.