The motivation for this work is to find a better and efficient energy storage solution for electric vehicle. It is done by comparing the performance of three different batteries, which are: Lead Acid battery, Li-ion battery and Graphene battery. In this paper, an electric vehicle model is created in Simulink using MATLAB software. The constructed model is based on the existing electric car TATA Nexon EV. Also, unlike the real car the model presented has a different battery pack and the battery parameters such as SOC, current, voltage, distance, velocity, and weight are changed to carry out the comparison between different battery technologies. The model will be simulated to obtain data regarding vehicle performance, energy consumption and range on the new FTP75 test cycle. The obtained know-how will help on later improvements of the electric model regarding methods to improve the vehicle performance and the simulation helps to choose the right powertrain for the vehicle without carrying out any real-life experiments.
- Hussain, Abid & Abidi, Irfan & Tso, C.Y. & Chan, K.C. & Luo, Zhengtang & Chao, Christopher.(2017), Thermal management of lithium-ion batteries using graphene coated nickel foam saturated withphase change materials, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 124.
- D. Tsokolis, S. Tsiakmakis, A. Dimaratos, G. Fontaras, P. Pistikopoulos, B. Ciuffo, Z. Samaras, 2016 Fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of passenger cars over the New Worldwide Harmonized Test Protocol(WLTP), Applied Energy, Volume 179, Pages 1152-1165.
- Yoon D, Son YW, Cheong H, 2011, Negative thermal expansion coefficient of graphene measured by Raman spectroscopy. Nano Lett, 11(8):3227-31.
- Hartmut Hinz (2019). Comparison of Lithium-Ion Battery Models for Simulating Storage Systems in Distributed Power Generation, Inventions 4, no. 3: 41.
- Son, I.H., Park, J.H., Park, S. et al. (2017) Graphene balls for lithium rechargeable batteries with fast charging and high volumetric energy densities. Nature Communications, 8, 1561.
- JL. W. Yao, J. A. Aziz, P. Y. Kong and N. R. N. Idris, "Modeling of lithium-ion battery using MATLAB/ Simulink," IECON 2013 - 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2013, pp. 1729-1734.
- Safaa I. AL-Saedi, Adawiya J. Haider, Asama N. Naje, Nathalie Bassil, 2020, Improvement of Li-ion batteries energy storage by graphene additive, Energy Reports, Volume 6, Supplement 3, Pages 64- 71.
- Shuai Ma, Modi Jiang, Peng Tao, Chengyi Song, Jianbo Wu, Jun Wang, Tao Deng, Wen Shang, 2018, Temperature effect and thermal impact in lithiumion batteries: A review, Progress in Natural Science:Materials International, Volume 28, Issue 6, Pages 653-666.
- Wen-Yeau Chang, 2013, The State of Charge Estimating Methods for Battery: A Review, International Scholarly Research Notices, vol. 2013.
- Xu, Zihan & Tai, Guoan & Zhou, Yungang & Gao, Fei & Wong, Kin. (2012). Self-Charged Graphene Battery Harvest Electricity from Thermal Energy of the Environment.